Thursday, May 7, 2009

Traveling is Learning!


I have always believed that travel opens one’s mind and inspire new thinking, and that’s why I am so passionate about it.

Luckily, I have a superb job that allows me to see the world, I've been invited to three travel trade shows this year alone: The New York Times Travel Show, The East Mediterranean International Tourism and Travel Exhibition (EMITT) in Istanbul, and The Great India Travel Bazaar (GITB) in Jaipur. These three exhibitions allowed me to interact with travel professionals closely and they gave me a deeper understanding and different perspectives to other cultures.

Being one of the largest travel shows in the US, The New York Times Travel Show always attracts a lot of exhibitors worldwide. This is about to be one of the most colorful events in the city, and many representatives put on their unique costumes while others gave performances on their own traditional techniques such as Korean paper-fan painting and Chinese paper silhouette. This multi-cultural, diversified travel event was like an epitome of American society. You will see so many happy faces and experience the relaxing atmosphere that you’d almost forget that you are in world’s fastest-paced financial center- Manhattan.

Being in EMITT is another feeling. I was amazed right at the moment I stepped in. The entire hall was full of cultural music and dance from Mediterranean countries - Egypt, Turkey, Syria and so on. When I spoke with the various people on site during our meetings, some dancers came and danced around us; it’s amusing and changed my entire impression. Due to the background and distance, I’ve always thought that people and the culture in Middle East are more serious, while I enjoyed so much of their warms and hospitality while sipping the traditional drinks and snacks from their native countries.

GITB is a travel show arranged by the tourism board, and they invited travel professionals from all over the world in the hope that they can help promote tourism business in India. I have always known from the Indian Americans that they are about the most diligent workers, but I learned first-hand how truly hard-working members of this culture are.

They won’t miss one single opportunity to present their services and follow up with us immediately and persistently. The exhibition hall was 5 floor building and I had to make around 50 appointments in 2 days, with a session that lasts 15 minutes each. It’s difficult for me to run up and down and locate some exhibitors especially under the time restraints. At one point, they in fact sent people to look for me in the exhibition hall and guide me through the direction. That was truly impressive!

I had a newfound understanding as to why most Indian people are so successful in business. They’re willing to walk extra miles to make things happen and when opportunities come, they will hold it tight with true passion. I really admire this working attitude. It requires good luck for good things to happen, while, I’ve learnt from this trade show that the more hard working you are, the luckier you will be!

No comments:

Post a Comment