Thursday, July 16, 2009

Hong Kong, The Paradise of Food, Wine & Shopping!

Hong Kong,the pearl of the East, amazingly combines both western and Asian atmosphere in one. The diversity of culture, education, and architecture and shopping makes Hong Kong one of the most popular destinations of the world. However, to me, a half-Hong Kong girl, the most amazing thing here is the food! As a kid, I was so eager to try the hamburgers, yet the entire mainland China didn’t even have a clue of what's McDonald or KFC! Guess where I tasted my first burger in my life? Yes, it's Hong Kong!

Now as a New Yorker working as an internatioinal travel consultant, I am spoiled and have become a truly picky eater. To gratify my desire, I traveled back to Hong Kong a lot, dozens of times during the past 10 years, only to shop and eat! There's no other places that makes me happier, as a gourmet, Hong Kong is definitely the most exciting place for me, and the convenience of finding what you want to eat 24 x7 is just unbelivable - restaurants are everywhere. Even Cantonese has a saying that “If you want to eat, eat in Hong Kong”, and it is indeed a paradise for fine food.

Earlier this week, I received several gourmet guides from Hong Kong Tourism Bureau and a press release with an interesting news that caught my attention – Hong Kong is becoming the heaven for not only food, but also wine!

HK government recently enacted a policy to abolish the tax of alcohol and allowing Hong Kong to be the hub of wine importing in Asia and across the world. Just in case you don’t know this yet, 2009 is the Food & Wine Year in Hong Kong. If you are nearby, or if you love food and wine as much as I do, then don't miss it: Hong Kong Wine and Dine Festival.

Hong Kong will forever be my city of food, (and now the wine capital), and TRAVEL! Who can reject an invitation of super delicious banquet accompanied by world class wine? Don’t mention the world renowned hotels like Intercontinental (My favorite) and The Peninsula.


I am planning a Hong Kong Epicurean Journey for food lovers around Chinese New Year 2010, and will invite my special friend, Jody Ness, host of Wine Portfolio to join (http://www.wineportfoliotv.com/). This trip is all about food, wine, shopping, cooking, great hotel and special opportunities to meet the chefs. If you want a super fun trip and be able to look at Hong Kong from a different perspective, stay tuned!

I am going to continue reading the amazing restaurant guides and recipe books, and you should too, visit http://www.hkfoodandwineyear.com/.

Photo credit: Hong Kong Tourism Board

No comments:

Post a Comment